The search for Captain America is over! After a seemingly never-ending casting call, the Hollywood Reporter announced on Monday that Chris Evans will be taking on the title role of the red-white-and-blue Marvel Comics hero in Captain America: First Avenger, slated for a summer 2011 release. The 27-year-old actor reportedly made the deal last week, though the Hollywood Reporter mentioned that Evans took a few days to think it over. He beat out a long list of some of Tinseltown’s biggest names for the role, including John Krasinski, Chace Crawford, Channing Tatum, and Ryan Philippe. Evans is no stranger to the realm of comic book adaptations – he played the Human Torch / Johnny Storm in two Fantastic Four movies in the last five years and will also appear in the big-screen DC Comics adaptation of The Losers next month. Perhaps his participation in such films led him to be cast as the leading man in this highly-anticipated film.
I think Mr. Evans fits into this role quite nicely. What do you all think?
For those of you who are missing Paula Abdul on American Idol, there is some good news for you! Access Hollywood reported today that a source at NBC has tipped that Abdul is in talks with the network to collaborate with longtime friend and High School Musical and Michael Jackson’s “This is It” choreographer Kenny Ortega for a new reality competition involving dance. Speculation is that the show may have something to do with flash mobs, where thousands of participants would gather in a public place and break into song and dance, amongst other activities like pillow fighting. However, the show is still in development and no contracts have been signed yet. Abdul has been rumored to have received offers in joining Dancing With the Stars, the upcoming U.S. version of The X-Factor with fellow soon-to-be-departing Idol judge Simon Cowell, and a reboot of Star Search. Looks like she has been quite in demand on the reality show front!
Speaking of Kenny Ortega and Michael Jackson, a couple of bombshells have been dropped in the courtroom where Jackson’s doctor Conrad Murray has been charged with his June 2009 death. First, on Monday, documents obtained by the Associated Press alleged that Murray interrupted performing CPR on Jackson to collect drug vials, according to a statement made by Alberto Alvarez, Jackson’s logistics director. However, an anonymous source told The LA Times that Murray did collect the vials, but continued to perform CPR on Jackson. Murray’s attorney, Edward Chernoff, claims that his client never tried to hide any medications. In response to Alvarez’s statement, he said, “What he said is inconsistent with the physical evidence found at the scene. . . .We just need to get everybody under oath and have a trial.” In another bombshell today, California Atty. Gen. Jerry Brown asked the Los Angeles Superior Court to bar Murray from practicing medicine in the state. In Brown’s filing on behalf of the California Medical Board, Brown said, “Murray administered a lethal dose of propofol, as well as other drugs to Michael Jackson. We will argue in court that Murray was reckless in giving Jackson such a dangerous drug and has demonstrated a serious lack of judgment that should prohibit him from practicing medicine.” Ouch.